Saturday 9 April 2011

Gingernuts

Years ago, I used to bake dozens of Gingernuts every few weeks. It must have been the perfect recipe because they turned out brilliantly ... buttery, with just the right amount of chewiness and with that rough, craggy look on top that they should have. 

I guess we must have all got fed up with Gingernuts at some point because I didn't make them for a while and we've moved house a couple of times since then. Now, of course, I can't remember which book the recipe is in and I've searched and searched all my recipe books but just can't find it. Actually, that was a big part of the motivation for starting this blog - I really wanted somewhere where I could record recipes, etc. that I'm currently using and have something to refer back to.

Gingernuts for lunchboxes and school snacks

This is the recipe I'm currently using which is quite nice but just isn't quite as good as the original:

8oz (225g) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp mixed spice
4oz (125g) butter
6oz (185g) sugar
2 fl oz (60ml, 1/4 cup) water
1 tblsp syrup

Preheat the oven to Gas 4 (180C) and line a couple of baking sheets with baking paper.

Stir together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices. In a small pan, heat together the butter, sugar, syrup and water until melted. Stir the liquid in to the dry ingredients until well combined. Place flattened spoonfuls onto the baking sheets and bake until golden for around 15 minutes. Allow to cool and firm up for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

No comments: