Wednesday 23 February 2011

Tomato ketchup

Ingredients: 
10lb ripe tomatoes sliced, 12 medium onions sliced, 2 1/2lb demerara or white sugar, 2 1/2 pints vinegar, 4oz whole peppercorns, 2 oz salt, 1 1/2 oz cloves and 5 tsp cayenne pepper

You can also add crushed or chopped fresh garlic or dried garlic granules or flakes, fresh or dried chillis and paprika if you  wish.
Method:
Bung it all in a pan, stir and simmer for two hours until thick and soft, stirring occasionally. Seive and return puree to the pan.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour into hot bottles and seal. Sterilize for 30 minutes in a water bath.

ETA: August 2015 - We've just finished off the very last bit of ketchup from the very last jar and it was still fine 4 and a half years later! It would have been finished off much sooner but one jar got forgotten about at the back of the shelf :-) It had matured from the rich red in the pan pic above, into a really deep dark brown rather like HP sauce.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dreamt about this top picture last night! I can't believe how many cloves are in here - seriously does it taste good?
(I think I've been scarred for life after pinching the sticky crusty edge off a honey and clove ham and getting a bit of clove stuck in my tooth - YUKKKKK! Couldn't get the damn thing out and it was awful!!!)
xx

Just me said...

Haha, I know exactly what you mean! The first time I did this recipe I just couldn't *believe* the amount of cloves and peppercorns in it!! I cut them down by about half and then realised that it did need that extra kick so next time I added them all and it worked out fine! Judging by the way it's flying off the shelf, I think everyone else must agree with me too :~)

PS: Janie, I'm loving your comments on here, so nice to know someone is reading my witterings! xxx

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I know the feeling! Blogging is pretty much my social life.


...Hmmm, maybe I shouldn't actually admit that...?!

Keep up the good work gorjus xxx